Matt. 5:16

Matthew 5:16,"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven."

"Live in such a way that you wouild not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers


Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Lanterns


One of the hobbies that I and my family take part in is Colonial Reenacting. I have did this since the mid 1990’s and, though it took a few years to get them all interested, I finally got my wife and three girls to participate. There are a number of our close friends that are in it as well.

I found it was great fun, and helped in learning more about our countries history, if I made most of our accoutrements, weapons, camp gear and some of the clothing.

One item that we found was quite useful and cheap to make was our candle lanterns. From what I have been able to learn, they cover a time period for both the 18th and 19th centuries. I started making them in 1999 and they became quite useful at home when our power would go out due to storms.

The first ones that I made were quite rough looking, but over the years, I’ve been able to make them a little more appealing and nicer looking. Some people that I’ve either gifted or sold them to don’t even use them for the light. They just set them on a shelf and decorate them for holidays.

I just now am attempting to mass produce the lanterns. I have a basic style that utilizes a candle pull, or lift, to change out the candle. I can alter it by routing the square edges which makes it look a little nicer. I prefer to make them with clear pine wood but, I also make some with hardwoods occasionally, usually Ash. The hardwoods have more grain design but, take longer to make of ‘course.

I also am playing around with a couple door designs. One would have a hinged door and another would have a sliding glass panel that will lift up making the changing of the candles easy. The hinged door design is fun to make but takes a lot of time since I make the hinges and door latch instead of buying them. Plus, there is more wood and frame work involved. I think they look the best though.

I serial number and date each lantern and also sign my name and put a scripture verse address on the bottom. I get my candles off the internet by a lady that makes grungy, grubby scented ones. They are fairly priced if I get them in bulk. They are suppose to have about a 4-5 hour burn rate and I think they look quite nice compared to the cheaper, plain white ones I used to buy.
I’ll be offering these for sale at local businesses, at special events, word of mouth and at churches I speak at. All of the proceeds will go to Bibles For The World and their ministries. They will range in price from $20 to around $40. I have only shipped one in the past praying it would make it without breaking. It did but cost about $15 thru UPS.

I have found that making them is quite fun and relaxing. I usually turn on some Colonial or Christian music that seems to help the work go by faster. I’ll be posting pictures of the different styles and individual lanterns as I make them, plus some of the process I go thru in making them in more detail in the future, just in case you’re interested.

Thanks for reading and have a great day in the Lord.

The hinged door model #40. Pat claimed this one straight away.

A progression of lanterns L-R: The first one I made, the second, #18 and #35.

No comments:

Post a Comment